Southbank Brisbane is one of Brisbane’s most popular tourist destinations. Proof of its popularity is evident by the number of visitors it welcomes every single year; a whopping 11 million on average. If you and your family are looking for a great place to explore this summer, a place that can offer you with complete family fun and entertainment, Southbank Brisbane is highly recommended.
Southbank Brisbane is the cultural, recreational, and educational centre in the capital city of Queensland. Located in the suburb of South Brisbane, its home to the beautiful parklands where you can find some of the city’s most iconic landmarks as well as trendy cafes and restaurants. Places to look forward to when visiting Southbank Brisbane this summer include the Grand Arbour, Streets Beach, the Wheel of Brisbane, and the Nepal Pagoda – just to name a few.
In this article, I’ll provide you with a simple guide to help you explore Southbank Brisbane this coming summer season and those you can enjoy all year round.
Let’s start with attractions you can check out this summer.
Southbank activities this summer
If you’re going during the summer season, you might find these or at least some of them, interesting:
- The Lion King – If you’re looking for a healthy dose of arts and entertainment, head to the Lyric Theatre and watch The Lion King. This landmark musical event, which has already been seen by more than 70 million people, will definitely redefine your expectations of theatre. Re-imagined by acclaimed director Julie Taymor, The Lion King is set against Serengeti Plains featuring heart-felt music by Elton John, stunning production, and never-before-seen effects.
- Queensland Theatre Company – Gasp! – If you’re looking forward to a relaxing, enjoyable night, this one is a must-see. Gasp! Is a brilliant funny satire featuring the sharp wit of Ben Elton. Catch it live on November 18 – 20.
- Sunday Sessions on the Green – Head to River Quay Green and experience Brisbane’s finest music. Aside from impressive live music performances, you can also look forward to funky chill out seating, lawn games, and of course, great food. This is perfect way to end your weekend.
To find out what else is on this summer, be sure to visit http://www.visitbrisbane.com.au
Southbank activities all year round
Listed below are the absolute must-see attractions which you can enjoy any time of the year.
- The Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre located in Grey St, this is one of the most imposing structures in all of Brisbane and it hosts major events in the city including Brisbane International Boat show, charity events, and art shows. It’s the hosting venue for the 2014 G-20 Australia Summit. Before you arrive in Brisbane, check the schedule and you might just in for a treat. In September, the convention centre will host the Queensland Cultural Week, which is the state’s largest celebration of cultural diversity. Everybody is welcome!
- One of the reasons why Southbank Brisbane attracts millions of people year after year is because it’s family friendly. If you’re traveling with kids or if you’re a kid at heart, you should really include Queensland Museum and Sciencentre to your itinerary. This is just walking distance from Brisbane Convention & Exhibition centre. The museum features art works to celebrate the state’s history and rich culture. It also covers diverse range of subjects including the fight for Indigenous civil rights, ancient Egypt, and Brisbane Fashion in the 1960s. It really is interesting.
- Explore nature and wildlife at the heart of Brisbane. Boasting natural parks and scenic views, South Bank Brisbane is definitely a green city. If you want to commune with nature while you’re here, then include the South Bank Parklands (and the Botanic Gardens in the CBD) to your list of places to see. South Bank Parklands is famous for barbecues and gatherings, riverside dining, and of course, as a cultural precinct. Just 10 minutes away from Brisbane City, you can also visit Mt Coot-ha or experience Scenic Rim, which is a heritage listed forest.
Southbank Brisbane is definitely a great summer destination as it offers everything you need to have a relaxing, enjoyable holiday. Aside from attractions that are available all year round, there are others that you can take advantage of during the summer season. So, if you need a break from your work and just want to distress, spend your weekend here and you’ll go home energized and fully recharged. For your accommodation needs, don’t forget to consider Bridgewater Terraces! We’re located at Kangaroo Point, which is just 15 minutes away from Southbank. We offer spacious, affordable, and luxurious serviced apartments perfect for the lone traveller, friends and family, and even business travellers.